Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Hiyo

What up? So it has been a while since I last posted, but I assure things are going good. I have been typing my butt off and trying to get my reforestation project started. It is all about presentation here at the municipio. I am still learning of course. Lately, I have either thought my Spanish is awesome or the worst ever. Never in the middle it is weird. I either no exactly what to say or what is being said, or I don’t. It is all good though, I am not that awkward about anything anymore. I have come to accept that I am that token foreign guy and there is nothing I can do about that. I will never really fit into Ecuadorian culture; no matter how many soccer jerseys I buy. I mean I have a giant red beard, I am 6’1, and did I mention that I was white. I still love it though.

This past weekend I got to go to Guayaquil (the biggest city in Ecuador) to look for a bike. I did find some awesome bikes, but left empty handed. I was able to buy some Lacoste tshirts for 5 dollars and every episode of Entourage and Planet Earth. I also attended my first soccer game ever. Barcelona vs. Olmedo. It was really awesome. The stadium was like the biggest ever of course I was the only white person there. It was normal and awesome. I also had the opportunity this past weekend to eat at not only taco bell, but also dunkin donuts. I love America.

These next few weeks should be filled with something, I just don’t know what yet. Oh, I forgot to mention, they are putting another volunteer at my site in the middle of August. I met her on her site visit here, and sure enough she is from Austin. That makes 3 people in the area from Austin. That means there are only two other people in the area that are not from Austin. QuĂ© mas? Nothing more really. Everything is the same here and I hope everyone back in the states is doing good. Ok, later.

1 comment:

  1. That's b/c all those hippie types come from Austin!! LOL - I am only kidding! I love those hippie types! I'm glad things are still going so well & don't worry about being a gringo - "fitting in" is over-rated! Standing out is much more fun!

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete